- When and where was SONIC founded?
- SONIC’S history can be traced back to 1953 and a small root beer stand called Top Hat in Shawnee, Oklahoma. In 1959, after successfully operating a handful of Top Hat locations, Troy Smith and partner Charles Pappe christened the existing locations SONIC, a good match for their slogan, “Service at the Speed of Sound.”
- Does SONIC franchise its restaurants?
- Yes, nearly 90 percent of our restaurants are franchised. We believe that equity-involved owners make the best operators and will provide a memorable experience for our customers. You can learn more about becoming a franchisee here.
- Can I buy stock in SONIC?
- Yes. Oklahoma City-based Sonic Corp. operates and franchises SONIC Drive-In Restaurants through its subsidiaries. Sonic Corp. is publicly traded on the NASDAQ Stock Exchange under the symbol "SONC". You can find more information on our Investor page.
- Does SONIC support community functions and charities? If so, how do I request support?
Sonic Corp. and the franchisees that operate SONIC drive-ins are proud members of our community. This pride is demonstrated daily at every drive-in by offering quality food, friendly service and job opportunities for local residents.
Locally, our independent franchisees support many charitable causes through sponsorships, fundraisers and events. If you are seeking support for your local non-profit, you may wish to contact the owner of your local SONIC. Donations and/or other means of support are given at the discretion of the independent franchisee.
Nationally, SONIC is focused on education and the arts within our home state of Oklahoma. While there are many worthy charitable organizations, we believe we are most effective when we focus our national support on limited causes, in this case arts and education in Oklahoma. Because of this, SONIC is unable to consider other requests for assistance.
For criteria, details and procedures of our giving efforts please visit our Community page.
- What animal welfare standards does SONIC have in place?
While SONIC is a restaurant company, and as such, does not raise, handle, own, transport or process animals we believe that handling animals in a manner that is humane is an important responsibility and quite simply, the right thing to do.
The foundation of SONIC’s animal welfare program is based on a comprehensive third-party audit system for beef, poultry, and pork processing plants. These systems are based on credible scientific animal behavior research and consist of specific technical standards for animal treatment including a detailed set of guidelines for measuring compliance. To guide us, we work closely with experts and industry groups such as the American Meat Institute, the National Chicken Council and the National Pork Board.
We work with our suppliers and others in our industry in an effort to raise the bar on animal welfare standards. One reason why we’re a member of the National Council of Chain Restaurants (NCCR) is to work with our industry and suppliers in our combined commitment to animal welfare.
- Where are your headquarters located and how do I contact you?
You may contact us by clicking here.
The SONIC World Headquarters is located at:
300 Johnny Bench Drive
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
Our hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Central Time.
If you have a restaurant-specific issue or question, call our Customer Satisfaction Team at (866) 657-6642 or email us your question.
- What are your restaurant hours of operation?
- Our minimum hours of operation are 6 a.m to 10 p.m. Most SONIC locations are owned by independent franchisees, and we feel they are best able to set the appropriate hours for their local SONIC. Please check with your local SONIC for its hours.
- How many SONIC locations are there?
- There are more than 3,500 SONIC restaurants in 44 states. Visit our Restaurant Locator for more information.
- How do I find an SONIC in my area?
- Go to our Restaurant Locator then you can enter your zip code, your city/state or your address. If you allow it, we will find your nearest SONIC using your current location.
- Is nutrition information available?
- Yes. We believe customers can make the best decisions for their individual needs when they have information. SONIC provides a great deal of choice enabling each customer to create a meal for their specific dietary needs. You can find nutrition information on all of our permanent menu items by visiting here. For allergen information click here. And, for our lower sodium choices click here.
- Are recipes available for the items on your menu?
- We appreciate how much our customers love SONIC food, however, our recipes are proprietary and considered trade secrets.
- How do I buy a gift card?
- We offer two convenient ways to purchase a gift card today, online or at any SONIC location. Visit our My SONIC card page to learn more.
- Can I mail a gift card to another person?
- Yes, we can ship my SONIC cards to any U.S. address.
- How long will it take to get my gift card?
- My SONIC card orders that are received from our website will process and ship within two business days. There are several shipping options for your convenience ranging from standard mail to overnight delivery.
- Can gift cards be purchased over the phone?
- No, we are unable to process my SONIC card orders over the phone.
- Can Gift Cards be purchased in bulk?
- Yes. You may purchase as many my SONIC cards as you need online. We do not offer discounts for bulk purchases of cards.
- Do gift cards ever expire or decline in value?
- My SONIC cards never expire and do not decrease in value.
- Can I reload or add to an existing gift card?
- Yes, you can reload my SONIC cards online or at your local drive-in. When you reload your my SONIC card you become eligible for special incentives from SONIC including great offers on our made to order food and drinks.
- What should I do if I lose my gift card?
- Always protect your my SONIC card as if it were cash and be sure to register it. In the event that you do lose your card, and it was registered, call us at (877) 828-7868. Please have your card number available when calling.
- Where can I find your annual report?
- You may review the digital copy of our annual report by visiting the Investor Relations section of our website.
- New location suggestions
- We continue to expand across the country with the goal of being convenient to all of our customers. Please know that our Real Estate team is busy scouring the country for the best possible SONIC locations. While many sites are considered each year only a portion of them open as a new SONIC location.
- I have a suggestion for a new product
- While we appreciate your interest, we do not accept unsolicited ideas for new products, services, advertising concepts or promotions. Instead, we rely exclusively on our employees and contracted agencies for these efforts. Therefore, it is possible that an idea that is the same as or similar to your suggestion has been or is being considered or is already in the development process.
- Does SONIC offer scholarships?
- SONIC is an avid supporter of education and the arts. Our specific focus is on supporting educational opportunities in the state of Oklahoma where SONIC is headquartered. In addition, our award winning Limeades for Learning® program has impacted thousands of students across the nation by providing needed supplies and tools needed by teachers to further student education. We do not provide support to individuals, only to non-profit groups aligned with education and/or the arts.
- Why are SONIC commercials aired in my area yet there are no SONICs around?
- With locations in 44 states we do utilize national TV advertising. This means markets across the country see our advertisements; even those where we have not yet arrived. We know that the footage of our delicious food may make you hungry, please know, it's not our intent to tease you. With national advertising it's just not possible to limit the advertising to markets with actual locations.